I settled on the funnel method and recycled one of the pretzel jars. Here is how you do it:
- Clean the salt out of the jar
- Cut a hole in the lid almost all the way to the edge
- Cut a half-circle out of a piece of paper with a radius equal to slightly larger (1/8") than the diameter of the hole in the lid
- Cut out a small semi-circle (quarter-sized) at the center to make the small opening for the funnel
- Form a funnel, the wide opening should just be larger than the hole in the lid
- Tape the funnel to hold it securely
- Hot glue the funnel inverted in the lid making sure it is completely sealed
- Put some fruit (banana, etc.) in and screw the lid on (I used a Styrofoam tray to put the banana on to keep the jar from getting nasty.)
- Set the jar out.
- Enjoy the satisfying feeling that you are getting rid of a pest.
Closeup of the funnel hot glued into the lid.
Here is my trap.
I made the sign to stave off questions about what the thing is. The font is used as a warning to the flies. It worked beautifully, though building services took care of the bug problem a couple days after my trap was put up. But now I am ready for the next infestation.